If you earn a living buying, selling, fixing or generally working with cars – even if it’s only part-time – it’s essential to have good cover. We sell policies specially designed for small and large motor traders. We’ve been selling this kind of cover for years and it’s all that we do – we know your business. So you can be sure you’ll get a deal and policy that’s right for your needs.

What is Motor Traders Insurance ?

Motor Trader Insurance is a policy that protects anyone operating a motor business on a fulltime or part-time basis. The cover provides protection for motor trade businesses in the UK.

It provides cover to drive either their customers’ cars or cars they are trading in. If you are driving around in customers’ cars it is assumed that you are doing this as road testing.

To be eligible for Motor Trader Insurance, it is also vital that you have had a Full UK or European driving licence for a minimum of 12 months. As a result it is not possible to have motor trader insurance under 18 years old. Typically the minimum age is 19 because of the 12 month requirement.

We can insure many kinds of motor traders including:

Accessory fitters
Alternative fuel converters
Air conditioners
Buyers and sellers
Classic car specialists
Coach trimmers
Crash repairs
Delivery agents
Engineering workshops
Exhaust, tyre and windscreen fitters
Mechanical repairers
Mobile repairers, fitters, tuners, mechanics
MOT stations
Performance & tuning workshops
Recovery agents
Scrap and salvage
Sound and security
Vehicle enhancers

There’s lots to sort out when you are starting a new business – it’s like a jigsaw.

Getting a good insurance policy is one of the pieces that need to be in place beforehand. You may think it’s a pain but then think about the huge problems your business would face without an insurance safety net.

Because everybody’s situation and business circumstances are different, there are no hard and fast rules.

However, these are the minimum legal insurance requirements that motor traders must have, though most businesses choose a higher level of protection:

Road Risks Policy: you must have a Third Party only (TPO) cover to drive your own or your customer’s vehicles on a public road;

Employers’ Liability Policy: you must have Employer’s Liability (EL) cover if you employ somebody - even if it’s a schoolboy washing cars for a few hours each week.

We’ll be pleased to advise you what policy/policies best suit your new business and then work out a customised quote for you.

You’ll find we’ve added in lots of extra features to our policies.

You could get:

Demonstration, social, domestic and pleasure use for all named drivers
Full theft cover
Possibility to include your second occupation
Lots of easy ways to pay
42.5% no claims bonus given after five years
Only part bonus lost after a claim
Option to use either private or commercial bonus from previous insurer

Plus – FREE Uninsured Loss Recovery (ULR) to help reclaim losses from an accident that wasn’t your fault, with up to £10,000 worth of legal expenses.

Choose which policy best suits your needs:

Third Party Only
Third Party, Fire & Theft
Motor Trader's Combined

If you operate a business however small that sell, buys or repairs motor vehicles, this type of policy is truly vital for you. The right cover protects the owners of the business and/or the employees of the business from financial loss that may occur as a result of an accident. Motor trader insurance is a essential for any professional motor business.

However, because not every business is same, there are several different options for motor trader insurance.

One of our sales team will be happy to advise you further or answer any queries. All the information given here just summarises our policies. You can also request a specimen copy of one of our policy documents.